This article will help those of you who are fed up with life inside the cubical, just trying to break free and live life on your own terms. The Internet has opened a huge door and presented numerous opportunities to create your own business where a work from home lifestyle has become very real. You really can break free from the 9-5 with these freelance opportunities and begin the entrepreneurial journey.
So, for those of you who really want the freedom to work from the comfort of your own home, but have no idea where to begin or what you could possibly do to generate income – read on as this article is for you!
Freelance business opportunities that will help you break free of the 9-5
The following roles are in high demand right now. Not only are medium to large corporations outsourcing to independent contractors to help ease the workload within the company; small businesses, including start ups and entrepreneurs are are turning to individuals who have more expertise and time than their current employees:
Social Media Manager
The role of a social media manager is to help build and actively cultivate online communities of prospects/clients across multiple social media channels. It’s a position that didn’t even exist until recently. Now, almost every company is involved in social media one way or another. There is more to social media management than simply posting on a few social channles, but if you know how to post on all social channels, and understand a company’s goals and brand, you can develop a social media strategy to help expand their brand and meet their company’s objectives.
The primary responsibilities of a social media manager are:
- Developing a social media strategy to increase brand awareness and increase engagement with online communities.
- Manage all social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram.
- Plan and post content consistently use automated delivery software tools such as Hootsuite: https://hootsuite.com to manage multiple social media channels.
- Develop and manage social campaigns that promote a company and its brand. For example, is the company launching a new product? If so, you’ll want to create a social media campaign that entices readers to keep an eye out for the new product coming soon, or perhaps a contest for guessing the name of the new product, contests are great ways to create engagement online and boost your viewers’ interest.
- Create engaging multimedia content such as videos and audios or outsource this to a freelancer.
- Form key relationships with social media influencers across the social media platforms.
- Manage and facilitate social media communities by responding to social media posts, commenting on others’ posts and developing discussions.
A content manager is responsible for the content on a company’s website and blog, and is often responsible for creating, editing, posting, updating, and optimizing content.
A content manager may not necessarily write all content but will often develop an editorial calendar and may outsource writing to freelancer bloggers or writers. Ideally content mangaers will have an understanding of SEO and keywords in order to help expand a company’s online presence and build brand authority.
Article writing, ghost writing, tech writing, editor, website content.
Service Based Business
What are you good at, what do you know that you can share with others? Are you an athlete? Did you play college sports? Capitalize on it, and don’t let anyone tell you it’s good for a few extra bucks – don’t buy into that mentality. If you want to make a business out of it – you ABSOLUTELY can, remember everyone starts somewhere. You can build a thriving business based on your knowledge.
Do you know Sales? Marketing? Are you great at organizing? Do you know quickbooks? There are plenty of service based businesses that start with one person sharing his/her expertise.
Also known as a VA, Virtual Assistants, like Social Media Managers, are in high demand thanks to the Internet. Many small businesses and entrepreneures turn to VAs to help with ongoing administrative tasks. Generally VAs are considered online administrative assistants, online personal assistants or online sales assistants.
Consultants are professionals who provide expert advice in a particular area such as sales, management, education, human resources and public relations. By hiring a consultant, companies have access to deeper levels of expertise than would be financially feasible if they were to higher an expert on a long-term basis. Companies can control their amount of spend by hiring a consultant for a specified period of time or on a retainer but also for a fixed period of time.
Some common consulting services:
- Sales – A sales consultant helps a company with all levels of sales and marketing, including sales team training and may oversee the development of sales collatoreal in an effort to improve a company’s bottom line.
- Marketing – Generally assists with determining marketing strategies including developing and testing different marketing campaigns to determine effectiveness. Often helps with product development, launches and placement.
- Human Resources – Provide expertise on employment practice and people management and may often assist with the interviewing and hiring of new employees.
- Public Relations – Handle, including helping to promote awareness of a company, brand or product, gaining exposure and free press. Generating press releases and creating coverage for clients for free, rather than through paid marketing or advertising.
- Business Strategist – Often hired to determine improvements to a company’s organizational strategy. This may include assisting in the identification of business opportunities, or internal company issues, along with defining a company’s golas and determining solutions to advance a company towards those goals.
- Educational – Helping students and/or parents in making educational decisions and giving advice on various issues, such as college prep classes, tuition fees, college admissions.
There you have it, several business ideas that will free you from the 9-5 and get you started on the entrepreneurial journey.
Next Steps: . Join the private FB group: Free from the 9-5: Life Outside the Box. Come for brainstorming sessions, learn tips and tools to getting your first paying clients and how/where to promote your business.
Leave a comment below an let me know what your current business is and/or your business idea!!